Celery juice is all the rage on social media these days. Instagram models claim that one glass a day will solve all our health-related problems. Chronic pain, weight loss, skin conditions- this drink is the cure.
The current trend is to drink 16 ounces of celery juice first thing in the morning.
Benefits of celery juice
Celery juice isn't a magic potion, but it has various scientifically proven health benefits.
Antioxidants fight free radicals that damage cells in our body, thus preventing premature aging and fighting cancer.
Celery contains potent antioxidants such as ferulic acid, caffeic acid, p-coumaric acid, saponin, apigenin, and kaempferol.
IT'S REALLY GOOD FOR YOU
Some studies show that celery contains anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and antibacterial properties. The anti-fungal and antibacterial properties strengthen your immune system, while anti-inflammatory properties alleviate joint pain and skin inflammation.
Celery contains various vitamins and minerals that promote good health.
- Potassium: helps with fluid balance, nervous system health, and muscle contractions
- Folate: makes DNA and genetic material
- Vitamin C: boosts the immune system, contributes to growth and development
- Manganese: essential in metabolic processes
- Calcium: strengthens bones, helps in blood clotting, and aids in muscle contractions
- Vitamin K: bone health, helps with blood clotting, and prevents heart disease
- Vitamin B6: helps with metabolic processes, creates red blood cells and neurotransmitters
- Riboflavin: helps the body burn food to produce energy
- Magnesium: helps create bone, regulates muscle and nerve function, controls blood sugar and blood pressure, creates protein and DNA
HELPFUL WITH HYDRATION
Celery has a high percentage of water; thus, it helps with keeping you hydrated. It also has electrolytes that replenish your body.
DIY celery juice
Here two easy recipes for making celery juice at home.
USING A JUICER
This is the quickest method to prepare celery juice.
- Chop off the leafy green top (you may also choose to cut off the light green portion of the stalk). Next, cut the stalks in half.
- Rinse the vegetables in a colander and gently pat dry.
- Place the celery stalks into the juicer
- Put a glass under the spout to collect any spillover juice.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight jar.
Celery contains high fiber levels, and this keeps our digestive systems healthy.
However, juicing celery removes its fiber; thus, you lose its benefits. Medical professionals recommend increasing your intake of fiber if you're relying on any juice as part of your diet.
IN A BLENDER
Making celery juice in a blender retains more of its fibrous benefits.
- Chop off the leafy green top (you may also choose to cut off the light green portion of the stalk). Next, cut the stalks into thirds.
- Rinse the vegetables in a colander and pat dry lightly.
- Place the celery into a high-speed blender and add ¼ cup of water.
- Cover the blender and begin on medium power. Use the tamper to push the stalks towards the blades.
- Blend until smooth, then serve. If you don't want the celery fibers, use a cheesecloth to strain the juice.
- Store in an airtight jar in the fridge if you're not drinking immediately.
Enjoy the benefits of celery juice, but remember where it falls short in nutritional value.
The Sole Toscana Beauty Team