Did you know that acne isn't just a teenage skin condition? It's one of the most widespread skin disorders treated by doctors and dermatologists. Clinical studies show that about 40-55 percent of adults aged 20-40 have acne and oily skin. People in their 50s and 60s aren't spared, either.
WHAT IS ACNE?
Acne is a chronic inflammatory condition that affects the sebaceous glands, which produce oil. The skin suffers from cysts, blackheads, nodules, whiteheads, papules, and scarring.
There are different types of this disorder. Acne vulgaris is the most common. Acne mechanica is caused by pressure, friction, or heat. Acne rosacea appears as persistent redness with pimples, while acne fulminans is a rare form that causes ulcers. Acne cosmetica is triggered by certain cosmetic products.
Causes of adult acne
Adult acne occurs due to these main factors. Diet, hormonal changes (menstrual cycle, pregnancy, menopause, birth control pills), stress, smoking, family history, and high levels of androgens.
Conventional treatment remedies include over-the-counter topical drugs, prescription creams, birth control pills, and antibiotics.
However, these methods can cause irritation, dryness, and redness. Instead of such risks, why not try natural DIY acne treatments? Remember, though, that you'll need to execute patience before you see results. Natural remedies are not only skin-friendly but also more affordable.
Make sure your skin is thoroughly cleansed before applying any treatment. To make a natural cleanser, mix one tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 20 drops of tea tree oil, three tablespoons of honey, one tablespoon of coconut oil, and the powder from 2 capsules of live probiotics.
Conduct a patch test on a small area of your skin to check if you have allergies to any ingredients.
Neem and turmeric face pack
Neem and turmeric are potent in combating dirt, oil, and impurities.
- 1 tablespoon neem paste
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- Mix thoroughly and apply on the face. Allow to sit for 15-30 minutes. Repeat 2-3 times a week.
Natural spot treatments
These more natural spot treatment versions help in diminishing the appearance of redness, decongesting pores, and creating a smoother look without harmful side effects.
- Pure aloe gel—ideally, straight from the plant
- 35 drops of witch hazel mixed with 15 drops of tea tree oil
- Jojoba oil
- 1 mashed aspirin made into a paste
- Rosemary extract
Acne Night Cream
This treatment will balance the natural oils on your skin and provide moisture.
The blend of essential oils is naturally cleansing, alleviates temporary redness, and is stress-relieving due to its scent.
- 4 teaspoons grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon emulsifying wax
- 1 tablespoon aloe vera gel
- 1/3 cup witch hazel
- 1/2 teaspoon stearic acid
- 2 400-IU capsules vitamin E
- 5 drops grapefruit seed extract
- 5 drops lavender essential oil
- 3 drops lemon essential oil
- 1 drop cedarwood essential oil
- 1 drop ylang ylang essential oil
- Add the emulsifying wax, grapeseed oil, and stearic acid to a measuring cup or bowl. Make sure it's heat-safe.
- Place the measuring cup in a cooking pot of water over a low flame. Stir continuously until the wax is melted completely. Remove the mixture from the stove and add vitamin E.
- In another heat-safe container, add the witch hazel and aloe vera. Stir continuously until the mixture reaches a lukewarm temperature.
- Pour the oil mixture slowly into the aloe and witch hazel mixture while stirring with a whisk. Add the essential oils and grapefruit seed extract once you've combined the two batters. This is a crucial step that prevents your cream from separating.
- Pour your cream into a sterilized 4-ounce dark glass jar—this protects the integrity of the essential oils. Store in a cool, shaded area to keep the contents fresh.
Honey and yogurt mask
Hydration and healing are both vital when it comes to keeping acne at bay. Conventional treatment methods strip the skin of its natural oils, stimulating it to produce even more oil.
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- Mix the honey and yogurt well and apply for 15-30 minutes. Use the mask 2-3 times a week.
Clarifying and balancing toner
Toners balance the natural oils in your skin while providing an added acne-fighting function.
Green tea, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and black tea remove buildup from the skin surface while removing impurities for a radiant appearance.
- 1 bag pure, organic black tea
- ¼ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup distilled water
- 1 bag of organic green tea
- ¼ teaspoon apple cider
- Boil one cup of water with the two tea bags. Allow them to steep for a minimum of 5-7 minutes.
- Remove tea bags and pour the mixture into a spray bottle.
- Add the lemon juice and apple cider vinegar. Close the bottle and shake to mix the ingredients. You'll need to shake it before each use too.
- Spray on your face after cleansing.
- Store in the fridge to maintain freshness.
The Sole Toscana Beauty Team